This hot cross bun recipe is the perfect treat to serve your family and friends. Without the added refined sugar!
250g wholemeal flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup currants or sultanas
½ cup low-fat milk
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 ½ tbsp coconut oil
2 eggs (one for glaze)
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ orange, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda and currants (or sultanas) in a large bowl and mix to combine.
3. Place the milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract, orange zest and one egg in another large bowl and whisk until well combined and a little ‘fluffy’.
4. Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and fold through gently until just combined and a sticky dough forms.
5. Turn the dough out onto a clean bench that has been lightly dusted with flour. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and using floured hands form the dough into round buns. Place the buns on the prepared baking tray.
6. Whisk the second egg well, and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of the buns with the whisked egg.
7. For the cross: Mix 1 tbsp melted coconut oil and 1 tbsp of cacao powder together in a small bowl to form a thick paste. Spoon the paste into a snap lock bag and cut off a small bit of 1 corner of the bag. Pipe crosses over the top of the buns before baking.
8. Pipe a cross on the top of each bun and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
9. Enjoy hot out of the oven.