Powered From the Bottom Up
By Running Divas Ambassador Julie Taylor
Do you want to improve your performance?
Are you chasing a PB?
Then including glute specific exercises in your training is key.
Doing these glute strengthening exercises has become an integral part of my training regime and I’m a big Kettlebell fan.
Some of my favourite go-to exercises for nailing that rear end strength are:
- Kettlebell Swings An exercise for the whole body that predominately focuses on the glutes is a winner in my books. Learning to do this exercise correctly and perfecting technique before you increase weights is my best tip when it comes to this fantastic exercise.
- Goblet Squat Would a workout be a workout without a squat? Add a kettlebell and even sumo this ‘baby’ for a sure fire way to nail those powerful back end muscles.
- Single Arm Deadlift. Keep your weight on your heels and drive through your hips (you’d have this nailed with your KB swings) and lock in your core to get the most out of this exercise.
- Single Leg Deadlift Tricky move but important as it develops the coordination between your core, glutes and back.
- Glute Bridges: Ooh I do love these and the name says it all. Single leg, weighted, on a bench, they really do hit the spot and are a must in your workout week
- Foam Roll: Yep, I did sneak this one in here! So important to remember to roll and stretch these babies. Tight glutes can cause pain in your hips and back. To get the most out of your workout, remember to recover, stretch and roll!
Look through Running Divas strength workouts and you’ll find these in many of them, with good reason.
To power up from the bottom up, make sure you train that butt.
Good glutes make for great running.