Your Story By Robyn Mccausland VIC
How I got started
- I started running after watching some friends run the Half marathon at Melbourne marathon.
- I was inspired and started running and then injured myself by increasing my distance too quickly (I know better now!!).
- I started last year doing 10km events at Run Melbourne and Melbourne Marathon Festival, as well as being a park run regular.
- I then travelled with a friend who ran the NYC marathon, I was at the 18 mile drink station as a volunteer.
It was such an amazing experience to watch so many different people including the elites who just are amazing running through the city and the crowd support was incredible.
- So I put my name in for the Chicago 2018 marathon lottery and in December I got my email acceptance.
- I completed my first half marathon in April 2018 for MS which was such an awesome experience to help a worthy cause.
- I also did a better time than I had expected. It felt so rewarding to have my hard training work pay off.
- I definitely feel like I’m on track for Chicago in October. I have several more events planned in my lead up to Chicago.
- I’ve also lost a significant amount of weight (15kg) since running and feel like a very different person, so much healthier and happier than I used to be.
- I really feel like running has already taught me a lot about myself and what I am capable of.
- Anyone that thinks they can’t run should get out there and give it a go.
Running community is the best
- One of my favourite things about the running community is the support, other runners will go out of their way to help you, everyone will congratulate you, and realise that your achievements are significant.
- There is no such thing as a small distance or a person to slow to be a runner. I love that running allows me to raise money for a good cause or help people while being fit and healthy.
I am so thankful to have running in my life, and excited to see where else my running journey will take me.