My Ideal Day on a Plate
By Running Divas Ambassador Mary Jo Dobell
I love food and I love how amazing it can make my body feel when I get my nutrition right and pair it with consistent training. Over the last few years as my interest in health and fitness has grown I have learnt how best to feed my body whilst also pleasing my tastebuds. When planning a day of eating I follow a few simple rules:
- Include plenty of fresh vegetables
- Make sure I have my two serves of fruit
- Include good quality and delicious carbohydrates
- Ensure there is enough protein for muscle growth and recovery
Below is an example of a perfect, yummy and healthy day of food for me.
- Place ½ cup of oats, ½ tsp chia seeds, 1 chopped date and 1 cup almond milk into a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and stir occasionally for 5 mins. Serve topped with half a chopped banana, ½ tbsp chopped almonds and drizzle with ½ tbsp nut butter. Add a little extra almond milk or a spoonful of Greek yoghurt.
- Super delicious!
1 cup of mixed berries topped with ½ cup of Greek yoghurt and sprinkle with cinnamon
RD Brainpower salad replacing the smoked salmon with some medium rare steak sliced thinly.
- In a bowl place 2 cups of leafy greens, ¼ avocado, chopped, ¼ cup blueberries, ¼ cup walnuts, ½ cup cooked quinoa and 50g cooked sliced medium rare steak. Toss and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Veggie sticks of choice served with cottage cheese. My favourite are capsicum, cucumber, carrot and snow peas.
- Skinny milk latte. (I love coffee and usually have one per day)
RD Salmon En Papilotte
- Place ¼ cup tinned chickpeas, ½ sliced zucchini, ½ tbsp black olives and ¼ lemon, sliced on a square of baking paper. Top with one small salmon fillet and 1 tsp olive oil. Fold sides of baking paper over top to wrap securely and bake in moderate oven. Top with some chopped parsley and serve with ½ cup cooked quinoa and 1 cup steamed greens.
Two small RD Oat Energy balls
- Combine 1 cup oats, ½ cup tahini or almond butter, ¼ cup honey, ¼ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg in a bowl and mix well. Roll into tablespoon sized balls and store in the freezer. Take out 15 mins before serving.